Houston Car Accident Lawyers
A car accident can bring your life to a sudden halt.
When that happens, don’t fall prey to insurance companies. They aren’t on your side.
Instead, get the answers you need from an auto accident lawyer you trust.
A Houston car accident attorney can counsel, advise, and represent you during this stressful time.
From gathering evidence of fault to building you a strong car accident claim, you’ll get all the help you need to seek the compensation you may deserve.
Some error has occured.
No Up-Front Fees
Top Auto Accidents by Suburb in Houston
Does My Accident Justify Hiring a Houston Car Accident Lawyer?
There’s only one way to find out for sure: contact a top-rated Houston car accident attorney at our firm for a 100% free, zero-obligation case evaluation.
Even if another auto accident lawyer in Houston didn’t take your case, we may.
We can set even the most complex claims up for success.
One car accident can change your life—so can one victory with us.
FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
What Types of Car Accident Cases Do Attorneys Help With?
Car accident lawyers handle cases involving motor vehicle crashes caused by the negligence of others. This can include but is not limited to:
What to Do After a Car Accident in Houston
You’re bound to be shaken up from the impact of a crash, but right away, there are steps you can take to ensure the success of your car accident injury claim. Here’s our advice on what to do after a car accident in Houston:
- Call for help. Always prioritize medical care, even if you don’t think anyone is injured. Car accidents send a rush of adrenaline coursing through our bodies, masking pain and other symptoms for hours or even days. This is why you need a thorough examination! Additionally, calling police to the scene of the crash enables them to generate an accident report. The report will contain important details for your car accident insurance claim.
- Take photos. Photo evidence is crucial for your case, so use your phone to take pictures of the damaged vehicles from all angles. Also capture the surrounding area, including any road debris, property damage, lights, and signs.
- Exchange info. Exchange identifying information and insurance information with the other driver involved in the accident. Make sure you get their full name, insurance company, policy number, and plate number. Additionally, collect contact info for any witnesses who saw the crash happen. Their testimony can be game-changing!
- Contact a Houston car accident lawyer. A Houston car accident attorney knows how to stand up for your rights, how to negotiate the fairest settlement, and how to write a demand letter for an auto accident settlement that gets you back on track. Rest easy and focus on your recovery, knowing your claim will be handled properly. We can connect you to the resources you need right now — like a rental car or medical care — at no upfront cost, all while handling paperwork, negotiating with insurance companies, and meeting those all-important legal deadlines.
How to File a Car Accident Claim
Filing a car insurance claim after an accident can seem intimidating, but it can help you get the money you need to cover your bills. Here’s how to proceed.
Soon after the accident, call your car insurance company and provide them with the simple facts: date, time, place, other driver’s name and insurance, etc. If a police report was made, let them know the accident report number. At the end of your call, you’ll get a claim number and a claims specialist assigned to you.
Never give a recorded statement to the insurance company and never sign anything until you’ve met with a car accident attorney! Once you get the ball rolling, all future communication from the insurance company can be handled by your attorney. Don’t sweat it!
How the Car Accident Claim Process Works
How do car accident settlements work? Generally, they will go through these phases:
- Determine liability. Ready to play the blame game? The first step in any car accident claim is to determine who was at fault for the accident. Once you determine fault, you’ll know which insurance company to deal with.
- Collect evidence. In order to prove negligence, you and your Houston car accident lawyer will need to collect evidence. In addition to compiling photos, witness testimony, and the police report, your lawyer can conduct a thorough investigation with the help of accident reconstruction specialists. During this time, you should be receiving medical treatment.
- Calculate the value of the claim. As your medical treatment wraps up, your lawyer will estimate the financial and emotional impact the accident has had on your life. These losses are known as damages. When added together, your damages represent the total amount of money your lawyer will pursue from the insurance company.
- Offers and negotiations. Next, your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company. In commercial vehicle accidents or Uber accidents in Houston, special circumstances and broader insurance coverage may apply. Uber, for example, has a million-dollar third-party liability insurance policy for its drivers.
- (Optional) Litigation. If a fair settlement cannot be reached via negotiating, your Houston car accident lawyer is prepared to take your case to court and present it to a judge and jury.
- Compensation. Finally, if you and your Houston car accident attorney are successful, you will be awarded a settlement amount and receive compensation, generally in the form of a check.
Can Passengers File Car Accident Claims?
Yes, passengers are able to file accident claims for Houston car accidents, no matter which car they were in. Even if the at-fault driver was a friend or relative, injured passengers can pursue compensation from them and their insurance agency.
What If the At-Fault Driver Is Uninsured?
Liability insurance is required in the state of Texas for all drivers. The minimum bodily injury liability coverage is $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident and the minimum property damage liability coverage is $25,000.
If the driver who hit you did not have insurance, they will be fined and might even have their vehicle impounded. But how can you recover from your losses?
If your car insurance policy includes uninsured motorist coverage or underinsured motorist coverage, your expenses may be covered. A Houston car accident lawyer can help you explore your options!
How Long after a Houston Car Accident Can I Claim Injury?
When it comes to how long you have to file a claim after a car accident, each state has its own rules. Personal injury claims are subject to a deadline called the “statute of limitations.” In the state of Texas, the statute of limitations for car accident claims is two years. Some exceptions may apply; contact a Houston car accident lawyer for a free consultation to find out how these deadlines apply to you and your case.
Do You Need A Police Report for A Car Insurance Claim?
In Texas, you’re only legally obligated to call police from the scene of an accident if it involves injury, death, or property damage exceeding $1,000. However, we recommend reporting all accidents to the police because police accident reports contain valuable details and evidence. Plus, if you do not report an accident to the police, the insurance company can deny the claim.
Once they arrive, the police officer will fill out a Peace Officer’s Crash Report, also known as a CR-3 form. The full police accident report will be completed later and you can obtain a copy for yourself.
How to Get a Houston Accident Report
To request police car accident reports in Houston, you have three options: in person, by mail, or online.
To buy a copy of your accident report in person, you can visit the Records Division of the Houston Police Department at 1200 Travis Street between 8AM and 5PM, Monday through Friday. The cost is $6.
To get a copy of your accident report in the mail, download and complete the B. 2633 Crash Report Form. Mail it to the following address along with a $6 check or money order made payable to the City of Houston and a self-addressed, stamped envelope:
Houston Police Department, Records Division
Houston, TX 77002
Or, if you prefer the comfort of your computer chair, you can find, purchase, and download a Houston police car accident report here. For more help getting a copy of your accident report, check out our blog post on police reports.
How to Determine Car Accident Liability
In order to determine liability for a car accident, you need to prove the other driver violated a “duty of care” and caused harm to you. You and your Houston car accident attorney can do this by compiling evidence like photos, testimony, surveillance footage, accident reports, and much more. Accident reconstruction specialists can even inspect the vehicles and match up paint scrapes to determine exactly how the impact happened! Not sure where to start? Reach out for a free consultation from a Houston car accident lawyer now!
Can I Choose My Own Repair Shop After A Car Accident?
Yes. After an accident, you have the right to pick where your car is taken for repairs. If an insurance company suggests an auto body shop, be cautious, as they may have ulterior motives. Wherever your car ends up, an insurance adjuster will come out to assess the property damage, the repair costs, and the vehicle’s current market value.
What Happens After An Accident If I Have A Car Note?
If you have a car note when you get into an accident, you will still have to pay off your vehicle in full.
If the car was totaled, your property damage claim should be equal to the car’s current market value. You can put this money toward paying off the car note.
If your car was damaged but not totaled, your property damage claim should compensate you for the necessary repairs. Afterward, you can continue making car payments on your usual schedule.
How Much Can Someone Sue for a Car Accident in Houston?
Every state has its own unique laws regarding accident liability. Texas is a “tort state,” also known as a “comparative fault” state.
In a comparative fault state, you compare who is more at fault. If a driver is found to be primarily at fault for an accident, they must take financial responsibility for it. Liability insurance exists to help cover accidents like these.
Additionally, a Texas car accident victim cannot recover damages if they are found to be 51% or more at fault. A victim can recover if they are 50% or less at fault, but their recovery would be diminished by their degree of fault.
Car Accident Damages
A fair car accident settlement will include payment for your economic and non-economic damages. You may also be entitled to punitive damages. The car accident lawsuit process will be different for each accident victim, but typically, car accident settlement amounts will include compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses. Ambulance rides, surgeries, diagnostic imaging, prescription medication, and mobility aids like wheelchairs and crutches are all included in this category.
- Ongoing care. If you need help at home or ongoing physical therapy sessions, you can include these in your claim.
- Lost wages. Carefully track the time you are missing from work while you recover from your accident injuries. Previous pay stubs and timesheets can be used as evidence. Your Houston auto accident attorney can use your previous pay stubs and timesheets to show how much money you’re missing out on.
- Lost earning capacity. If your injuries left you permanently disabled or disfigured, you may have to switch to a different type of job. Your attorney can consult an expert witness like an economist to estimate how much money you’re missing out on in your lifetime.
- Property damage. If your car was damaged or totaled in the crash, you can collect compensation for the repairs or a replacement. If any personal belongings were lost or damaged in the crash, you can include them in the claim as well.
- Other accident-related expenses. Keep track of everything! If you are immobile or unable to perform certain tasks due to your injuries, you may need to hire help with cooking, cleaning, childcare, pet care, transportation, and more. You may be able to collect compensation for all of this.
- Funeral and burial expenses. In the event of a fatal car accident that claims the life of your loved one, you may be entitled to damages from a wrongful death claim.
- Pain and suffering. It’s hard to put a price tag on the physical pain you endure, but rest assured, it has value. Don’t try to grin and bear it. Get the compensation you deserve.
- Emotional anguish. Many car accident victims are left with PTSD symptoms and other mental struggles. These are valid damages that can be included in an accident injury claim.
- Disfigurement and disability. If you were paralyzed, burned, scarred, or left otherwise disabled or disfigured by a car accident, you are entitled to compensation for the impact this will have on the rest of your life.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. If your injuries prevent you from participating in hobbies or activities you once loved, you can be compensated.
- Loss of consortium. Victims and their spouses may be entitled to these damages if their relationship suffers as a result of accident injuries.
Punitive damages, sometimes called exemplary damages, are intended to punish egregiously reckless drivers. Gross negligence is defined as “a conscious and voluntary act or omission in reckless disregard of a legal duty and of the consequences to another party.” In Texas, if the driver who hit you is deemed grossly negligent, you may be able to collect punitive damages in addition to the damages we mentioned above.
How Much to Expect from a Car Accident Settlement
Car accident case settlement amounts vary depending on several factors. The outcome of your auto accident lawsuit will depend on the unique circumstances of your accident and the severity of your injuries. For example, the average settlement payout for a broken finger is a bit different than the average settlement payout for a broken arm.
By estimating the total value of the damages we listed above, you’ll get a better idea of what to expect from your final car accident settlement award.
How Long Does A Car Accident Settlement Take?
A personal injury lawsuit could take anywhere from a few months to a few years to settle. The timeline of an insurance claim depends on a few variables. For example, all medical treatments must be concluded before an injury claim’s value can be accurately calculated. If you’re still in treatment, it could take several months to receive your settlement. However, you should never rush your medical care, or else you might get stuck paying future bills on your own.
Sometimes, parties can be fiercely locked in the negotiation stage for months. If you aren’t getting the offers you deserve, you and your lawyer may need to go into litigation. Luckily, most car accident claims settle out of court!
When to Get an Attorney for a Car Accident
The short answer: ASAP!
Legal actions are subject to time limits and deadlines called “statutes of limitations.” For Texas car accident cases, the statute of limitations is two years. You must file your claim within two years of the date of the accident. If you miss this important deadline, your claim may be denied entirely. Plus, if you wait too long to take legal action, important evidence may be lost forever.
The sooner you enlist the help of a Houston car accident lawyer, the better your chances of success.
How Much Does a Car Accident Attorney Cost
We know many injured victims hesitate to call a car accident attorney because they’re worried about the cost, but we have good news: Our Houston car accident attorneys charge nothing upfront. Our confidential consultations and case evaluations are always 100% free, and if you choose to hire us, you will pay nothing out of pocket.
We work on a contingency basis, meaning we collect our attorney fees from a portion of a settlement award after the case is closed. If we lose the case, we get nothing. If you don’t get paid, neither do we!
Why Get an Attorney for a Car Accident
Still undecided on hiring an attorney for a car accident? Let’s review the benefits. We can assist you with your personal injury claim by:
- Collecting and preserving evidence
- Conducting in-depth investigations and determining liability
- Connecting you with healthcare providers at no upfront cost
- Tracking expenses and calculating the value of your claim
- Negotiating with insurance companies, fighting for the maximum possible settlement award
- Filing a car accident lawsuit and going to trial, if needed
Greedy insurance companies are not on your side. On the contrary, they’re waiting for you to make a mistake so they can deny your claim. By missing one deadline or getting pressured to sign an early offer, you could lose your chance at tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don’t try to handle your car accident claim alone. Leave everything to us!
Know your rights and protect your interests with the help of a dedicated Houston car accident lawyer.
About Our Firm
We are a national law firm headquartered Houston with multiple offices around the country. We also work with affiliate law firms in most states that share our dedication to excellence and our focus on client-first compassion. For over 20 years, we’ve fought for the rights of accident survivors and their families. Compassion is key.
Every member of our firm – from attorneys to case managers to receptionists – shows up to work grateful for the opportunity to make a meaningful difference in someone’s life and provide help to those who need it most. Our entire team is committed to seeing our clients make a full recovery.
When it comes to securing compensation for our clients, we let no opportunity slip through the cracks. With dedicated, diligent follow-through, you can place your trust in us.No matter where you’re located, we want to help. Contact us now
– we’re open 24/7 and ready to give you a 100% FREE case evaluation.
After a Wreck, You're Not Alone.
When a negligent motorist hits you, a 5-star Houston car accident lawyer at our firm will be ready to help you. We’ll review the unique aspects of your potential claim and determine who is liable.
Don’t let insurance companies dismiss you, take advantage of you, or pin the blame on you. They can use all sorts of sneaky tactics to try to avoid paying you after a crash.
With an auto accident lawyer in Houston on your side, you can rest easy and focus on what matters most: getting back to your life.
The aftermath of a car crash is never a good experience, but we try our very best to make it an easy one.
We’ve focused on winning car accident claims and lawsuits for over 20 years. We have the knowledge, resources, and expertise to handle even the most serious and complex catastrophic claims. And we know how to get full, fair car accident settlements, no matter who we have to go up against.
Our Top-Rated Houston Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You!
We are proud to be a trusted, reliable resource for accident survivors and families in our Houston community. When you reach out, there’s no obligation to hire us. Our case evaluations are 100% free because we want you to get the answers and information you need so you can make the best choices for yourself going forward.
Knowing your options can help you take the right steps towards getting the car accident compensation you may deserve.
Day or night, a Houston car accident lawyer at our firm is here, ready and available to answer your questions, provide experienced counsel and advice, and guide you through the next steps.
Have questions after an auto accident? Speak to a trusted Houston car accident lawyer today.