Calling police after a car accident can help you in several ways. First and foremost, officers can help you and/or others get medical care while diverting traffic and preventing more crashes. Police can also be essential when it comes to:
- Investigating the accident
- Collecting witness information
- Gathering evidence at the scene
- Figuring out who is at fault for the crash
Here’s more on why you should report car accidents to police and how to get and use police accident reports for car crash cases. If you need answers about your rights and a potential car accident claim, contact our Houston car accident attorneys for free advice.
Texas Law: When You Are Required to Report a Car Accident
Drivers in Texas are required by state law1 to call police and report a car accident whenever a crash results in:
- Property damage severe enough that any vehicle cannot be safely driven away from the accident scene
Failing to report these car accidents to police can result in fines and possibly even criminal charges. While the law can be enough motivation to report Texas car accidents to police, remember, it’s usually your best interest to call police after crashes if or when:
- You think another driver may be intoxicated.
- Another involved driver has fled the scene of the accident.
- Another involved driver has no insurance.
- Any other involved party is being combative.
Top 4 Reasons to Call Police After a Car Accident in Houston
When police respond to a car accident in Houston, they will write up an official accident report that:
- Documents important details about the crash
- Records who the involved parties are and how they appeared and/or behaved after the crash
- Records whether any involved party was issued a criminal citation or placed under arrest
- Notes important details about the road and weather conditions at the time of the crash
Given that police accident reports contain such key information like (but not limited to) the above, these reports can be crucial when it comes to:
- Figuring out who is at fault for the accident
- Establishing the extent and severity of the injuries victims suffered
- Proving the nature of the property damage
- Finding other key evidence, like witness statements and blood alcohol content (BAC) test results, which may be pivotal to the strength and success of car accident cases
How to Request a Police Report for a Houston Car Accident
There are three ways to request police car accident reports in Houston:
- Mail: Download and complete the B. 2633 Crash Report Form. Mail it to the following address, along with a $6 check or money order (payable to the City of Houston) and a self-addressed, stamped envelope:
Houston Police Department, Records Division
Houston, TX 77002
- Online: You can find, purchase, and download a Houston police car accident report here.
- In-person: Visit the Records Division of the Houston Police Department in person at 1200 Travis, on the 1st
For these police accident reports, it’s essential to know that:
- They are typically available between 5 and 8 days after the date of the crash.
- You will need at least two pieces of the following information in order to request the report for your accident:
- The date of the accident
- The location of the accident
- The name(s) of the involved party or parties
- The incident number
- These reports do not always capture every detail—and they can even get some details wrong. So, it’s important to review these reports and reach out to the officer to correct any wrong information if any details are inaccurate or false.
- Our Houston lawyers can help you obtain and review your police accident report. We can also help you use that report to figure out your legal options
We represent victims in all types of car accident cases, including drunk driving crashes, Uber and Lyft accidents, UPS wrecks, FedEx accidents, and more. No matter how complex a case may be, we have the skills and experience to hold the at-fault parties accountable.
Our Experienced Houston Car Accident Lawyers Are Ready to Help You: Contact Us
After a car accident, you are not alone. You can rely on our Houston car accident lawyers for help, honest answers, and exceptional advocacy. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car accident, now’s the time to contact us. We can provide the advice, support, and representation you need to get the justice and recovery you may deserve.
Call (713) 804-7675 or Click HERE
for a FREE, No-Obligation Consultation
We’re Here 365/24/7
We are ready to explain your rights and legal options for moving forward. A call or click can be the first crucial step to getting on the path to justice and financial recovery. Plus, we work on contingency. That means, if you decide to partner with us, you will pay nothing upfront and absolutely nothing at all unless or until your case is successfully resolved.
Relentless and experienced, our Houston car accident attorneys can stand up to any opponent, fiercely advocating your rights in and outside the courtroom. We proudly back our strategic, aggressive representation with client-focused service, and we’re committed to providing the type of advocacy we would expect if we were in your shoes.
Our perfect rating on Avvo, along with our testimonials and many industry accolades and awards, speak to our long-standing record of excellence and success in car accident cases.