Nationally Recognized Houston Car Accident Lawyers
Helping Houstonians Seek the Justice They Deserve
No one ever anticipates they’ll become a car accident victim, but with over 60,000 car accidents happening in Houston every year, that day may come.
When it does, you need guidance you can count on. You need answers and results.
Our top-rated Houston car accident lawyers are ready to fight for you.
For over 20 years, we have provided accident survivors and their families with tireless, aggressive advocacy. When Houston insurance companies play dirty, we strike back. We fuel our exceptional representation with client-focused service and compassion, resulting in a record of successes we’re proud of.
Let our next victory be yours.
Still unsure? Read on to discover why a Houston car accident attorney is the ally you need. If you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers!
Consultations are 100% FREE
If you’re unable to visit our offices for a case evaluation, we can come to your home, the hospital, or any location convenient for you.
Some error has occured.
What to Do After a Car Accident
First of all, breathe. You’re still in one piece, and that’s what matters. We know a car accident is a scary thing, especially on the busy streets of Houston. We’re here to help you deal with what comes next.
6 Important Steps to Follow if You’ve Just Been in a Car Wreck:
- Move to safety: If you’re able to, exit your vehicle and take shelter somewhere safely out of the path of traffic until the authorities arrive.
- Dial 911: Even if it seems like no one needs an ambulance ride to the emergency room, police need to come survey the scene so they can create a crash report. This report will be important when you file your car accident claim later.
- Collect details: This means insurance, identification, plate numbers, and phone numbers from anyone involved in the accident and any surrounding witnesses.
- Document the damage: Use your phone to snap photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damage done to your vehicle and other vehicles, including wrecked motorcycles and bicycles involved in crashes.
- Look up a lawyer: Make your life a lot easier by avoiding the insurance agency’s calls until you’ve had a lawyer review your damages. Why? Because without proper legal counsel, you risk being manipulated and taken advantage of. A car accident lawyer will always make sure you know your rights – and protect them.
- Visit your doctor or an urgent care center: Seek medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if you feel fine, you need to be assessed by a medical professional. Thanks to the rush of adrenaline our bodies experience after a car crash, many serious injuries go unnoticed until it’s too late. If you’re afraid you can’t afford medical care, a lawyer may be able to connect you to the resources you need and schedule appointments at no upfront cost.
When it comes to building a strong car accident case, every second counts. So why wait? Contact an experienced Houston car accident attorney today to ensure you get the money you deserve.
Do I Really Need a Lawyer for a Car Accident in Houston?
If you were injured in a car accident through no fault of your own, yes, you need an attorney. Without a Houston car accident injury lawyer, you’re defenseless against the manipulative tactics of insurance companies. After an accident, many people wonder if they should hire a car accident lawyer. They may hesitate or fear that a lawyer will be too expensive. Without the expert guidance of a lawyer, car accident victims often end up with disappointing settlement amounts that don’t even begin to cover their bills. They may be dealing with this blow to their finances for years to come.
Don’t let sneaky insurance adjusters take advantage of you. You don’t know how much money you are truly entitled to – and it’s our job to find out! Hiring a Houston car accident lawyer lets insurance companies know you mean business. That’s true whether the accident off-the-clock or on-the-job, and it’s especially important for delivery drivers, rideshare drivers, and others.
Ready to file your claim? Our auto accident attorneys in Houston can help! We’re ready to:
- Clearly explain your rights and options
- Identify who is at fault for the car crash
- Obtain a copy of the crash report
- Collect, review, and present all essential evidence for your case
- Negotiate with tricky insurance companies on your behalf
- Represent you in the courtroom and fight for what you deserve
- Steer you through every phase of your case, until you’ve got a resolution worth celebrating
Consultations are always free and confidential. Just one call or email can make all the difference during this stressful time.
What Causes a Car Accident?
On average, there are 188 car accidents in Houston every day. What are some of the contributing factors?
- Distracted driving. It’s simple: anything that takes your eyes off the road or your hands off the wheel can lead to deadly results. While there are many things that can distract you while driving, cell phones are the most prominent. In 2017, Governor Greg Abbott signed a bill into law that officially banned texting while driving in Texas. First-time offenders are usually punished with a fine. However, if someone’s texting-while-driving results in an accident with serious injuries or fatalities, they may be charged with a Class A misdemeanor.
- Driving under the influence. Drugs and alcohol are a major contributor to car accidents. Approximately one third of fatal car accidents in Houston are caused by drunk driving. In Texas and across the United States, you will be arrested if you are caught driving with a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher.
- Speeding. When a driver is speeding, they have less time to notice road hazards or other drivers or pedestrians in their path. They also have less time to brake, and turns become more difficult to handle. In the Texas Department of Transportation’s 2019 data analysis, speeding was a cause of nearly 30% of all auto accidents in Texas.
- Defective auto parts. Common faulty auto parts may include defective airbags, defective tires, defective seat belts, defective gas tanks, sticking pedals or controls, leaky fuel systems, and more. Often, faulty auto parts will be recalled by manufacturers. However, if they aren’t recalled and they cause you to get into an accident, you may be able to file a claim against the manufacturing company.
How Can I Prevent a Car Accident?
- Obey speed limits and other laws. They’re there for a reason! The faster your vehicle is traveling, the more time it will need in order to come to a complete stop. In car accidents, this window of reaction time is crucial. Your speed could be the difference between life and death.
- Keep up with routine maintenance. Don’t neglect your annual car inspection or routine oil changes. These habits allow mechanics to catch your problems before they start – and before they wreak havoc on the roads of Houston. Don’t forget about tire care either. A blowout on the highway could be disastrous. Rotate your tires routinely (Michelin recommends every six months), and replace them when their tread is too worn.
- Buckle up. Sometimes, even the safest drivers find themselves in an accident. One thing you can still mitigate is the severity of the injuries you suffer. Wearing a seat belt increases your chance of surviving a crash by 45%. In pickup trucks, that number jumps to 60%, as truck wrecks are twice as likely as car crashes to end in rollovers.
Houston, Texas Has a Traffic Problem
Does My Accident Qualify for a Houston Car Accident Attorney?
Every car accident is different, so there’s only one way to find out: get a free case evaluation right now.
Our Houston car accident lawyers handle many different types of cases. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, don’t suffer any longer. Connect with the legal representation you need.
With so many accidents happening on our busy roads every day, we’ve seen it all. Our team of Houston car crash attorneys will do our best to handle whatever your case entails.
When Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Houston?
ASAP. The sooner you reach out to our team of Houston car crash attorneys after your accident, the sooner we will be able to get you on the road to recovery.
If you wait too long to file your claim, valuable evidence may be lost and injuries may worsen.
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Our client-focused approach ensures you can expect excellent service, compassion, and respect at all times. You can save time and stop stressing, knowing we’ve got your back. Call now to speak to a dedicated car accident attorney in Houston.
How Much Does a Houston Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
It’s a common misconception that lawyers are expensive or complicated. On the contrary, car accident lawyers can streamline the stressful process of filing an insurance claim, and we collect no payment up front. Instead, we operate on a contingency fee basis and collect payment only if we win your case. Our fees are deducted from a percentage of the winnings we help you obtain. If we do not win your case, you pay us nothing.
Your goals are our goals, and your victory is our victory.
What Should I Bring to My Consultation with a Car Accident Lawyer?
Many car accident lawyers provide free consultations. During this first discussion, you can tell your story and share information to help them get a better idea of your case’s potential. If possible, be ready to provide them with the following:
- Date of the accident
- Location of the accident
- Case number from police officers who responded
- Your information (name, vehicle, license number, insurance provider, etc)
- The other driver’s information (name, vehicle, license number, insurance provider, etc)
- Photos of the scene, the vehicles, and your injuries
- Date and location of any medical treatments you received after the crash
- Summary of your injuries and medical diagnoses, if applicable
- Any correspondence you’ve had with insurance adjusters
Can I Get Medical Treatment After A Car Accident if I Don't Have Health Insurance?
Yes, if we take your case, we can help connect you to the medical care you need at no upfront cost.
Prioritize your health. Never try to “brush off” your injuries after a car accident. If you do not see a doctor promptly, your personal injury claim could suffer. Gaps in treatment are an all-too-common reason insurance companies deny claims from injured victims, citing them as proof you weren’t “really” hurt.
To get you the medical care you need ASAP, your Houston car accident lawyer can provide a letter of protection. A letter of protection is an agreement between your lawyer and your medical care providers, guaranteeing they will be paid back with the money you obtain from your settlement later.
If you do not have health insurance, contact our team of Houston car accident lawyers now to learn more about your options for receiving medical treatment at no out-of-pocket cost.
How Can I Receive Compensation for Car Accident Injuries?
Remember Texas is a comparative fault state. This means injury victims can receive compensation as long as they are less than 51% at fault for the accident. So how can you get help paying off the expenses related to your Houston car accident?
First, you must prove the other driver was at fault and that you have suffered injuries as a direct result of their negligence. These injuries can include anything from whiplash, head injuries, and soft tissue injuries to disfigurement, loss of limbs, and more. A Houston car accident lawyer can help you establish both fault and the severity of your injuries.
Next, you must assess the losses and damages you suffered from the accident. Damages for car accidents may include the following:
- Medical bills (including ambulance rides, medications, x-rays, physical therapy, and more)
- Property damage (including auto repair costs)
- Pain and suffering (e.g. emotional distress)
- Lost wages or lost earning potential
A Houston car accident attorney will collect evidence such as your medical records, bills, pay stubs, and testimony from your doctors. (Note: it is important to follow your doctor’s recommendations and attend all follow-up appointments and physical therapy sessions. Failure to do so will weaken your case considerably.) Your attorney will use this evidence to prove the worth of your damages and the value of your car accident claim, helping you pursue the maximum amount of compensation.
In the case of commercial vehicle accidents, a personal injury lawyer can hold the employer of the at-fault driver liable. Plus, if the driver was “on the clock” when they caused the accident, they may be covered by a commercial insurance policy with limits that are much higher than the statutory minimum in Texas.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim for an Auto Accident in Texas?
Victims seeking compensation after a car accident are subject to a time limit, also known as a “statute of limitations.” This time limit varies from state to state.
The Texas statute of limitations is two years from the date of your accident. If you do not file your car accident claim before then, you may lose all opportunities for compensation.
Two years may sound like a long time, but don’t procrastinate. In order to maximize your settlement, your Houston car accident attorney will need time to collect evidence and build a strong case.
A Houston car accident attorney can also connect you to local medical treatment and physical therapy you may need in the meantime.
How Long Does a Houston Car Accident Lawsuit Last?
Trust us when we say patience pays off. Usually, the most effective negotiations do not start until a car accident victim has been released from medical treatment and their medical records have been obtained and presented. This process can take months, especially if your medical care providers take a while to send over the necessary information.
If a lawsuit is filed, it may take more than a year to go to trial. Luckily, most auto crash cases settle out of court, and the threat of a lengthy car accident lawsuit process may encourage insurance companies to give you a fair offer faster.
What Happens in a Car Accident Investigation?
Some car accidents are straightforward. For example, when you get rear-ended at a red light and the other driver fails the field sobriety test, no one places the blame on you.
Other accidents, however, may require a bit more digging. During a car accident investigation, also known as the “discovery” phase of a lawsuit, your lawyer will enlist the help of accident reconstruction experts, investigators, and other forensics specialists to prove who was at fault in your accident.
For example, to prove a case of distracted driving, your lawyer can obtain the negligent driver’s cell phone records. They can also access nearby surveillance camera footage or dash cam footage, if available.
Was the other driver speeding? Experts can analyze vehicle damage and roadway debris to determine exactly how the accident happened and how fast the cars were traveling. They can also interview witnesses and search the other driver’s history for past convictions, tickets, or accidents.
Additionally, the accident report and documentation of a victim’s medical treatment will be important evidence in every car accident investigation.
Do I Need an Expert Witness to Determine Fault in My Car Accident Case?
When it comes to proving fault and calculating damages for a car accident claim, expert witnesses are often vital. Wondering what types of expert witnesses could help your car accident lawsuit? When you team up with us, we can assess your case with the help of a variety of experts, including doctors, engineers, forensic consultants, economists, and crash reconstruction specialists. We’ve spent decades winning cases and strengthening our network of connections. Together we can build a team who can prove fault in your Texas car accident case!
What Happens if the Other Driver is Uninsured?
If a state has no-fault laws, each driver’s insurance covers their injuries or damages, no matter who is at fault. If they do not have insurance, they pay for their own damages out of pocket.
Texas is a fault state, however. The person who will pay for car accident damages is the person who caused the crash. If you were harmed by someone’s carelessness, you are entitled to sue them for compensation.
(Friendly reminder: most insurance policies give you the option to add uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage for an additional cost.)
Can I Choose My Own Repair Shop After a Car Accident in Texas?
Often, auto insurance companies will pressure you to use a body shop of their choice. This is because these companies have contracts with local repair shops. In exchange for the insurance company’s referrals, the repair shops may offer lower prices for labor and materials. Additionally, most insurance companies only contract repair shops that meet certain standards and training criteria. Many also provide warranties on their work. Repairs may also be performed faster, getting you back on the road and back to your daily life.
Still, we know there are scenarios where you’ll want you to pick your own auto shop, and you have a right to. Because the contracts we mentioned have referral quotas that need to be met, the insurance adjusters may argue with you. They will claim the shop you chose is not on their “list” and that progress on your claim will be delayed. You do not have to concede. Let us handle these issues for you! All in all, the choice is yours.
Can Passengers Recover Damages for Car Crash Injuries?
Yes, in some cases, passengers who are involved in Texas motor vehicle accidents are able to pursue recovery from the driver of the other vehicle, as well as the driver of the vehicle they were in. Additionally, numerous other entities may have contributed to your car crash and can be found at fault, even in a single-vehicle accident. These include manufacturers of faulty auto parts, property owners who did not remove hazards, bars who overserved their patrons, and more. A Houston car accident attorney can help you determine fault.
Injured passengers usually have easier, more straightforward cases than injured drivers. This is because they are less likely to share any liability for the accident. Aside from that, a passenger injury claim works just like any other car accident claim. The passenger should collect relevant evidence like insurance information of all drivers, their license numbers, and photos of the scene. Then, with the help of a car accident lawyer, they must prove they suffered injuries, distress, and/or property damage as a result of the actions of the driver(s). They’ll file with the insurance company, track their expenses, and calculate the true value of their claim.
If you were a passenger in a serious car accident, don’t leave decisions up to the driver. Take charge, take action, and get compensated.
Can a Passenger Sue a Driver After a Car Accident?
In Texas, if you are hurt in a car crash as a passenger, you can pursue claims against any motorist involved. Yes, that includes the driver of the vehicle you were in.
We know this can be a sticky situation, but there’s no reason to feel guilty. Remember, you are not pursuing payout from the driver, but from their insurance company. A Texas car accident attorney can evaluate the specifics of your case and guide you through the claims process.
How Do I Collect Damages for a Wrongful Death Car Accident?
It’s a well-known fact: Houston’s roads can be deadly. Tragically, your loved one may be involved in a fatal Houston car accident. What are your options?
Wrongful death damages differ from personal injury damages because they relate to the hardships of a surviving family member instead of the victim. Wrongful death damages can include but are not limited to:
- Burial expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
Who can file a wrongful death suit in Texas?
- A spouse of the deceased
- A child of the deceased
- A parent of the deceased
- The estate executor of the deceased
While no amount of money can ever replace the life of a loved one, we are steadfast in our belief that you shouldn’t have to stress about finances while grieving. Reach out now to learn how we can help you pursue a wrongful death claim.
How Do I Know if the Insurance Company's Settlement Offer is Fair?
Every car accident is different, and every victim will be affected in different ways. It can be difficult to put a price on your suffering, but a car accident attorney can help you make the necessary calculations about your unique situation. They will do this by collecting evidence such as your medical records, lost wages from missing work, and the long-term impact on your quality of life.
It can be hard to keep track of all of the bills piling up, and it can be even harder to estimate future expenses you may incur as a result of your accident. A Houston car accident lawyer can help you see the big picture and pursue the maximum amount of compensation. Never accept an offer, cash a check, or sign anything from an insurance company without first consulting an experienced car accident attorney.
What Are the Most Common Car Accident Injuries?
When it comes to car accidents, serious injuries come with the territory. Below are some of the most common injuries you may suffer in a car accident:
- Back Injuries and Neck Injuries. Strained muscles or herniated, bulging, or slipped discs are common car accident injuries. Spinal cord injuries often require diagnostic imaging like an MRI and CT scan for proper diagnosis. You may not notice the pain right away, but their effects can be long-lasting. If you don’t receive proper treatment, your mobility could be limited for the rest of your life. You may be unable to do physical labor or even pick up your child. Always communicate your pain clearly with your Houston car accident lawyer to get connected to the physical therapy or surgery you may need.
- Arm and Leg Injuries. Our position when driving – seated, with hands on the wheel – makes our wrists and knees especially vulnerable, even in minor car accidents. Some knee injuries like a torn meniscus or ACL may require surgery. Other arm and leg injuries can affect your mobility or interfere with your job.
- Brain Injuries. While some people dismiss “whiplash” as a common occurrence in fender benders, it can result in serious brain injuries. When your head jolts forward, your brain may shake or strike your skull. This can cause lasting behavioral, cognitive, or physical impairment such as mood swings, memory loss, headaches, tics, confusion, and aggression. Your personality might even change. Traumatic brain injuries run the gamut from concussions to comas. Hemorrhaging may also occur.
If you’ve been injured in a Houston car accident, you deserve justice. We are ready and willing to fight for your rights in the courtroom. Reach out now for your free case review.
What Are the Most Common Types of Car Accidents in Houston?
Rear-end collisions: Rear-end collisions, sometimes known as fender benders, can happen anywhere, from Houston’s highway on-ramps to parking lots and neighborhoods. Rear-end collisions commonly occur at intersections, red lights, and stop signs. Distracted driving is often a contributing factor in these accidents, as drivers glance down at their phone and do not realize the car in front of them has come to a stop. During rush-hour traffic in Houston, rear-end collisions may occur when impatient cars tailgate or when a speeding driver approaches an unexpected section of bumper-to-bumper traffic congestion.
Head-on collisions: Head-on car crashes result in some of the most severe injuries we see in our practice. The faster the vehicles are traveling, the more dangerous the resulting impact will be. Drunk driving and unexpected detours are among the reasons for head-on collisions here in Houston.
T-bone accidents: T-bone accidents often occur at intersections when a driver is speeding through or not respecting another car’s right-of-way. The negligent driver may have run a red light or ignored a stop sign. For the person seated at the point of impact, t-bone accidents can be deadly.
Sideswipe accidents: Sideswipe accidents occur when a driver is changing lanes and neglects to notice a car in their path. All vehicles have blind spots, but all drivers have a legal responsibility to check them. Sometimes the driver notices as the accident is happening and corrects their path, getting away with some minor cosmetic damage. Other times, like when semi trucks are involved, sideswipe accidents can be fatal.
Rollover accidents: High speeds and sharp curves are a recipe for a rollover. Because of their center of gravity, large vehicles like vans, SUVs, and semi trucks have the highest risk of a rollover. Rollover accidents can be disastrous, resulting in crushed bodies or limbs.
How Does a Car Accident Claim Work?
Insurance companies will try to weasel their way out of paying you what you’re owed, but a skilled car accident lawyer won’t allow it. Below is the typical trajectory your car accident claim might take, if you’ve got a good lawyer on your side:
- Evidence Collection and Case Building: Before you file a claim, you want to make sure it’s bulletproof. This involves a time period of collecting evidence, such as medical records, crash reports, bills, witness testimony, and more. Any injuries you sustained will also be monitored to see if they change over time, for better or worse.
- Filing the Claim: Your lawyer will compile all of the evidence and officially file the claim with the insurance company.
- Dealing with Adjusters: Insurance adjusters exist to make you settle for less. They’ll try to trick you or elicit recorded statements from you that could invalidate your earlier claims. Always avoid the adjusters and let your lawyer tango with them.
- Settlement Offers: The insurance company will make you an initial offer. While you may find it tempting, rest assured it’s only a fraction of what a lawyer can get for you via our next step…
- Negotiation: Eventually, after some fierce advocacy from your car accident lawyer, an acceptable settlement can be reached. (If not, we go into litigation and duke it out in court.)
- Compensation: Money in your pocket at last! Your lawyer will collect their fee from a fraction of this settlement.
What Can I Do if the Insurance Company Denied My Claim?
Insurance companies have a responsibility to cover their policyholders. They must adhere to the contracts they sign. Still, every day in our line of work as car accident attorneys, we hear tales of insurance companies refusing to pay out, missing deadlines, postponing investigations, or outright denying claims.
Did you know that if your claim is improperly denied, you can sue your insurance company? You can take them to small claims court yourself, but teaming up with a lawyer gives you better chances.
An insurance company might deny your claim because you missed payments and let your policy lapse, or because you neglected to report another accident you were in. Whatever the reason, you still have options. Let our Houston car accident lawyer deal with the insurance companies for you.
Should I Hire a Houston Car Accident Lawyer?
There’s only one way to find out for sure: contact our Houston car accident lawyers for a 100% free, zero-obligation case evaluation.
One car accident can change your life – but so can one victory with us.