Why & How to Request a Police Accident Report After A Car Crash
When a car accident happens, chaos follows.
You’re in pain. Your property is damaged or lost. You feel frozen and afraid of making the wrong choice.
We understand. We’ve helped thousands of people through this, and now we’re making it our mission to help you.
When it comes to what to do after a car accident, calling the police is a smart move. For starters, officers can help you and other victims get medical care while directing traffic flow and preventing more crashes. Police reports can also be essential when it comes to:
- Investigating the accident
- Collecting witness statements
- Gathering evidence at the scene
- Figuring out who is at fault for the crash
A police report can support your statements in an insurance negotiation or in court. If you have questions about your rights and a potential car accident claim, contact a Houston car accident attorney at our firm for free answers and professional advice. In addition to being beneficial, calling the police is sometimes required.
― Texas Law: When Am I Required to Report a Car Accident? ―
Drivers in Texas are required by state law to call police and report a car accident whenever a crash results in:
- Damaged vehicles that cannot be driven away from the scene
Failing to report these car accidents to police can land you in deep trouble, including fines and criminal charges.
Even if no one is hurt, things can get messy. There are other circumstances where summoning police can protect you and your rights after an accident. For example:
- You suspect another driver may be intoxicated.
- Another involved driver has fled the scene of the accident.
- Another involved driver has no insurance or no license.
- Any other involved party is threatening you or harassing you.
― Top 4 Reasons to Call Police After a Houston Car Accident ―
When police respond to a car accident in Houston, they do a lot more than ask you questions or divert rubberneckers. They will write up an official accident report in order to:
- Document important details about the crash
- Record who the involved parties are and how they appeared and behaved after the crash
- Record whether any involved party was issued a criminal citation or placed under arrest
- Note important details about the road and weather conditions at the time of the crash
- Illustrate the scene with a diagram
Since police reports contain all of the important info listed above, they can be vital to your claim. Below are the top 4 reasons to call police after a car accident:
- Figuring out who is at fault for the accident
- Establishing the extent and severity of the injuries victims suffered
- Proving property damage
- Finding other key evidence, like witness statements and breathalyzer test results, which may be integral to successful car accident cases
― How to Request a Police Report for a Houston Car Accident ―
To request police car accident reports in Houston, you have three options:
1. By Mail.
Download and complete the B. 2633 Crash Report Form. Mail it to the following address, along with a $6 check or money order made payable to the City of Houston and a self-addressed, stamped envelope:
Houston Police Department, Records Division
Houston, TX 77002
You can find, purchase, and download a Houston police car accident report here.
3. In Person.
Visit the Records Division of the Houston Police Department in person at 1200 Travis Street between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. The cost is $6.
― When Requesting Police Accident Reports, Keep in Mind: ―
- They are typically available between 5 and 8 days after the date of the crash.
- You will need at least two pieces of the following information in order to request the report for your accident:
- The date of the accident
- The location of the accident
- The name(s) of the involved party or parties
- The incident number
- These reports do not always capture every detail—and they can even get some details wrong. It’s important to review these reports and reach out to the officer to promptly correct any wrong information or inaccuracy.
- Our Houston lawyers can handle this for you. We can obtain and review your police accident report, and we can also use it to figure out your legal options and come up with a strategy for your recovery.
We represent victims in all kinds of car accident cases, including drunk driving crashes, Uber and Lyft accidents, UPS wrecks, FedEx accidents, and more. In our 20 year history of serving the Houston area, we’ve seen it all. No matter how complex a case may be, we have the skills and the experience fight for you.
― Top Houston Car Accident Lawyers Are Ready to Help ―
A car accident can be the most stressful thing that’s ever happened to you. One accident can change your life – but so can one victory with us.
Don’t go through this alone.
You deserve professional legal counsel and dedicated guidance. You can rely on a 5-star Houston car accident lawyer at our firm to follow up with you and keep your best interests at the forefront of their minds, every step of the way. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car accident, now’s the time to contact us. It’s the first step to getting the compensation you deserve.
Call (713) 804-7675 or Click HERE
For a 100% FREE Consultation
We’re Here 365/24/7
We’re ready and waiting to explain your rights and legal options for moving forward. Plus, we work on contingency. That means if you decide to partner with us, you will pay nothing upfront and absolutely nothing at all unless or until your case is successfully resolved.
We proudly back our strategic, aggressive representation with client-focused service, and we’re committed to providing the type of advocacy we would want for our own family.
Our perfect rating on Avvo, along with our testimonials and many industry accolades and awards, speak to our long-standing record of excellence and success in car accident cases. Let our next victory be yours, too.