Houston Wrongful Death Accident Lawyers
A car accident can cause damage to more than just your vehicle: your daily life can come to a screeching halt, and your finances can get flipped upside down.
If you are feeling lost, stranded, and overwhelmed by choices and problems, you need to know your rights as a victim before making any decisions.
You need answers. You need advice. You need advocates. You need attorneys.
Don’t fall prey to insurance companies that want to exploit your pain and toss you aside. The right lawyer can make all the difference in your recovery after a car accident.
From scheduling doctor appointments to coordinating rental cars, you’ll get all the help you need. A personal injury lawyer can connect you to all the resources you deserve in this stressful time.
Some error has occured.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Fatal Car Crashes?
Deadly car crashes are tragic – and they’re often caused by careless drivers. According to recent statistics,  the leading causes of fatal car accidents in America include:
- Speeding: Someone’s impatience could cost you your life. Speeding is the leading cause of deadly motor vehicle accidents – about 17% of all fatal car accidents involved speeding drivers.
- Alcohol and drug impairment: When someone is under the influence and behind the wheel, they endanger everyone around them. Inebriated drivers account for about 11% of all deadly wrecks.
- Failure to stay in a lane or yield the right-of-way: Swerving, weaving, and other erratic driving behaviors can cause fatal car accidents. These contribute to more than 7% of all fatal car accidents in the country.
- Distracted driving: A text you send on the road could be your last. Nearly 6% of all deadly auto crashes involve at least one distracted motorist.
- Not wearing seatbelts: Wearing a seatbelt reduces the risk of injury and death in a car accident. Buckle up for this fact: nearly HALF of all people killed in motor vehicle accidents were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of their collision.
In some cases, more than one of these risk factors combine to result in a single deadly wreck. For example, impaired drivers are more likely to ignore speed limits and swerve out of their lane, increasing the risks of accidents.
Who Is At Fault for Wrongful Death Car Accidents?
Fault for deadly car accidents will depend on the causes of those wrecks. In general, those who may be liable for fatal crashes can include (and may not be limited to):
- Other passenger vehicle drivers
- Uber or Lyft drivers
- Delivery truck drivers, like FedEx drivers and UPS drivers
- Trucking companies
- Parties responsible for building and maintaining safe roads
More than one party can be at fault for a single car accident and identifying every liable party can be the key to getting the full compensation deserved for a wrongful death case.
The best way to figure out all parties who may be liable for a given wreck is to meet with our experienced Houston lawyers for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
Who Can File A Wrongful Death Car Accident Lawsuit in Texas?
According to Texas law, the following relatives of a victim can pursue a wrongful death claim:
- Parents or adoptive parents
- Children or adopted children
Additionally, Texas wrongful death law specifies:
- Spouses, parents, and children have 2 years from the date of death to file a wrongful death claim.
- If a spouse, parent, or child has not filed a wrongful death case within three months of the death, an estate executor or administrator can still file a claim.
How Are Survivors Compensated in Wrongful Death Car Accident Cases?
We know you can’t put a price on the life that was lost, but in the event of a loved one’s passing, an avalanche of expenses can come rushing at you. Wrongful death cases can help cover things like:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Past medical bills for the deceased
- Lost wages the decedent would have earned
- Survivors’ pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Therapy and counseling
Depending on the type of negligence that caused the fatal accident, punitive damages may also be available. Although they are rare and reserved only for recurring or especially horrific acts of carelessness, punitive damages are meant to punish the at-fault party and can increase your compensation amount significantly.
How Are Wrongful Death Cases Resolved?
The resolution of a wrongful death case involves thorough investigations and complex damage calculations by experienced legal professionals. If an agreement isn’t reached during settlement negotiations, the case goes to court. This lengthy process can increase the time and cost it may take to resolve a case, but it may be necessary when there are disputes over liability or the amount of damages. The final decision will then be up to the jury.
Whether a case ends up in court or not, having our Houston wrongful death lawyers on your side can be your key to success. We fight for you and your family every step of the way and help you stand up to insurance companies. Our team of wrongful death attorneys are skilled at comprehensively presenting cases to juries.
I Want To File A Wrongful Death Car Accident Lawsuit. Where Do I Start?
In this heartbreaking time, it can be hard to know where to turn. Contact our Houston wrongful death attorneys now, and we will take care of everything you need to:
- Begin a case: We will gather all evidence and file all paperwork necessary to get your wrongful death case started.
- Provide guidance and counsel: From discovery and depositions to negotiations and beyond, we are your guides through every step of the legal process. We provide only the highest quality representation and ensure you know your rights, and know they are protected.
- Seek the best possible results: Insurance companies aren’t above taking advantage of families in mourning. We refuse to let them. We fight tirelessly for justice.
Does My Accident Justify Hiring a Houston Car Accident Lawyer?
There’s only one way to find out for sure: contact our Houston car accident lawyers for a 100% free, zero-obligation case evaluation.
One car accident can change your life – but so can one victory with us.
FOR A FREE CONSULTATION