What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in Texas?
According to the latest statistics,2 the top five most common causes of bicycle accidents in Texas and across the nation are:
- Driver inattention or distraction: Motorists do not always look for cyclists on the roads. That’s especially true when drivers are not devoting their full attention to the roads because they’re distracted or impaired by alcohol.
- Failure to yield at intersections: About 70% of all bicycle accidents occur at intersections. Often, drivers’ failure to yield to riders contributes to these accidents.
- Alcohol: Alcohol impairment is a factor in about 37% of all bicycle accidents. This can include both drunk driving and rider intoxication.
- Poor road conditions: Anything from potholes to missing signage and broken signals can contribute to poor road conditions. About 13% of all bicycle accidents involve dangerous road conditions.
- Riding at night: With the reduced visibility that comes with night, it can be even more challenging for motorists to see and safely avoid bicyclists. Statistics back that up, as most fatal bicycle accidents happen between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. when the sun sets and reduces visibility.
What Should I Do After a Bicycle Accident?
Take these steps after a bicycle accident to protect yourself, your rights, and your potential accident claim:
- Get out of the way of traffic and check for injuries.
- Call the police and report the accident.
- Get medical attention from emergency responders if you need it.
- Collect name(s), contact information, and vehicle/insurance information from the involved driver(s).
- Take pictures of the accident scene, the injuries, and the damage.
- Collect the name(s) and contact information of any witness(es), when possible.
- Only report the facts of the crash. Never guess, and never admit fault or apologize.
- Seek follow-up medical attention, whenever needed, and follow all doctors’ orders.
- Record the facts of the accident that you remember, and keep everything.
- Contact our Houston bicycle accident lawyers to find out more about your rights and legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and more.
How Do I Determine & Prove Fault for My Bicycle Accident?
The details and evidence associated with your crash can be crucial to determining and proving who is at fault for it. Some of the most helpful elements to review when it comes to fault determinations for bicycle accidents can include (and is not limited to):
- The police accident report
- The accident scene photos
- Witness statements
- Cellphone records
- Red light camera photos or footage
Our Houston bicycle accident lawyers can collect and review all available evidence to help you determine every party who is at fault for your crash. We can also help you hold those parties accountable for the harm, suffering, and losses they have caused you.
How Much Is My Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
The value of a bicycle accident claim depends on the details of that accident. Our attorneys can provide you with a more specific answer to this question during a free case evaluation. Generally, however, the amount of compensation available for a bicycle accident case will depend on factors like (but not limited to):
- The nature of the negligence that caused the crash
- How many negligent parties there are
- Who the negligent parties are and what type of insurance coverage they have
- The extent and severity of the injuries and damage caused by the crash
- How much work the victim has missed due to his or her bicycle accident injuries
Our experienced Houston bicycle accident lawyers can help you figure out these details so you’re able to seek the full compensation you may deserve.
How Can a Houston Bicycle Accident Attorney Help Me?
Our lawyers can make a big difference in the strength and outcome of your case. We have the skills, experience, and resources to craft the strongest possible bicycle accident claims and position them for success. We can also:
- Provide honest answers and helpful advice
- Help you navigate the process and avoid mistakes that may hurt your claim
- Fight to get you the highest possible compensation and the best possible outcomes
- Give you priceless peace of mind that your rights are fully protected throughout the course of your claim