How Do I Know If a Drunk Driver Caused My Car Accident?
In the chaos of figuring out what to do after a car crash, it can be hard to know if the driver who hit you was tired, distracted, or under the influence. Some signs that another driver was drunk or impaired at the time of your car accident can include:
- Submitting to a field sobriety test
- Submitting to a breathalyzer
- Smelling of alcohol and/or marijuana
- Acting erratically
- Slurring speech
- Being arrested after the accident
The best way to prove drunk driving caused an accident is via the police report. The report can shed light on key information, such as:
- An officer’s observations of drivers
- Whether any involved driver submitted to a field sobriety test, a breathalyzer, and/or a blood test
- The results of any chemical testing
- Whether open containers, drugs, or drug paraphernalia were found in another driver’s clothes or vehicle
- Whether the officer believes alcohol and/or drug impairment were factors in the crash
Our Houston drunk driving accident lawyers can help you gather these important facts after your crash.
What Should I Do If I Have Been Hit By a Drunk Driver?
Call the police immediately after your accident and get a medical assessment, even if you’re not sure you’re hurt. It can also be helpful to:
- Take pictures and record video footage of the accident scene, the damage, and other drivers.
- Record the name(s) and badge number(s) of the responding officer(s).
- Request a copy of the police report for the accident as soon as it’s available.
- Meet with our Houston drunk driving accident attorneys for a free, zero-obligation case evaluation.
We can review the details of your accident, explain your rights and legal options, and help you move forward.
What Happens in a Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit?
The details of an accident can affect your claim’s resolution. Generally, drunk driving accident cases involve:
- Investigations, including gathering and reviewing evidence
- Dealing with difficult insurance companies
- Taking a case to court when there are disputes over liability or fair settlement amounts
If a drunk driver has been charged with criminal DUI charges, that case will proceed on its own separate timeline, apart from your drunk driving accident lawsuit. However, the evidence and outcome of a criminal DUI case can be used to strengthen drunk driving accident lawsuits.
What Do Drunk Driving Accident Settlements Cover?
When you’re hit by a drunk driver, your life comes to a screeching halt. Your car may be totaled, you may be hurt and unable to return to work, and you may feel alone and confused. You deserve compensation for all of this hardship. A dedicated Houston drunk driving accident lawyer will fight for compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills and therapy
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial expenses (in the event of fatal DUI accidents)
In some cases, punitive damages may also be available. Punitive damages, which are meant to punish negligent parties, are implemented in the case of particularly egregious acts of carelessness or when there is a history of negligence.
Our Houston drunk driving accident lawyers can explain the different types of compensation available for your unique claim. We can put you on the path to full financial recovery.
How Can a Houston Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Help Me?
Don’t just hire any attorney – hire one who will be your ally and personal advocate. You can count on our dedicated Houston drunk driving accident lawyers to:
- Protect your rights: We won’t let insurance companies invalidate your pain, undervalue your claim, or dodge your questions.
- Craft the strongest possible case: We’ll assemble everything necessary to build a strong claim and set you up for success. This includes scheduling your comprehensive medical care and collecting witness testimony.
- Navigate every step of the legal process: We’ll keep you informed about the status of your case and the options available to you at every turn. We’ll also explain what’s in your best interest and help you avoid mistakes that could weaken your case. We go the extra mile to achieve the best possible results for each and every one of our clients. Experience it for yourself.