How Do I Know If a Drunk Driver Caused My Car Accident?
Some signs that another driver was drunk or impaired at the time of your car accident can include another driver:
- Submitting to a field sobriety test
- Submitting to a breathalyzer
- Smelling of alcohol and/or marijuana
- Acting erratically
- Slurring words
- Being arrested after the accident
Generally, one of the best ways to determine and prove that drunk driving caused an accident is through the police report. That report can detail key factors, like:
- An officer’s observations of other drivers
- Whether any involved driver submitted to a field sobriety test, a breathalyzer, and/or a blood test
- The results of any chemical testing conducted on other drivers
- Whether drugs or drug paraphernalia were found on another driver
- Whether the officer believes alcohol and/drug impairment were factors in the crash
Our Houston drunk driving accident lawyers can help you figure out if alcohol impairment was a factor in your crash.
What Should I Do If I Have Been Hit By a Drunk Driver?
Get any medical treatment you need and call the police immediately after the accident. It can also be helpful to:
- Take pictures and record video footage of the accident scene, the damage, and other drivers.
- Record the name(s) and badge number(s) of the responding officer(s).
- Request and review a copy of the police report for the accident as soon as it’s available.
- Meet with our Houston drunk driving accident attorneys for a free, zero-obligation case evaluation.
We can review the details of your accident, explain your rights and legal options, and advise you on how to move forward.
What Happens in a Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit?
The details of an accident can impact how a future claim is resolved. Generally, drunk driving accident cases involve:
- Investigations, evidence gathering and review, and discovery
- Dealing with insurance companies
- Taking a case to court when there are disputes over liability and/or compensation amounts
If a drunk driver has been charged with criminal DUI charges, that case will proceed on its own timeline, independent of a drunk driving accident lawsuit. The evidence for and the outcome of a criminal DUI case can be used to strengthen drunk driving accident lawsuits.
What Do Drunk Driving Accident Settlements Cover?
Compensation for DUI accident victims is intended to help them cover the losses, pain, and injuries they have endured as a result of the crash. As such, settlements and jury awards for drunk driving lawsuits typically include compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial expenses (in the event of fatal DUI accidents)
In some cases, punitive damages—in addition to the above compensatory damages—may also be available. Punitive damages, which are meant to punish negligent parties, usually come into play when there is a particularly horrific or flagrant act of negligence or when there’s a pattern or history of negligence.
Our Houston drunk driving accident lawyers can explain what compensation may be available for your claim. We can also help you take the right steps to pursue the full financial recovery you may be entitled to.
How Can a Houston Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Help Me?
You can count on our Houston drunk driving accident lawyers to help you:
- Protect your rights: We won’t let insurance companies and/or others undervalue your claim or give you the runaround.
- Craft you the strongest possible case: We’ll assemble everything necessary to build you a strong claim, searching for any additional witnesses, bringing in expert witnesses, and more to ensure your case is positioned for success.
- Navigate every step of the legal process: We’ll keep you informed about the status of your case and your options at every juncture. We’ll also explain what’s in your best interests, based on your goals, and we’ll help you avoid any mistakes that could sabotage the success of your case. We’ll go the extra mile to seek the best possible outcome so you can focus on picking up the pieces and moving on with your life.