Houston uber and lyft Accident Attorneys
Rideshare apps are rising in popularity with each passing year. Their convenience is irresistible, and plenty of us use Uber or Lyft to stay safe when we’re not fit to drive our own cars after a night out.
So isn’t it ironic when an Uber or Lyft is involved in an accident?
Unfortunately, these accidents are increasingly common. Whether you’re a passenger or driver in an Uber or Lyft, or just sharing the road with one, it’s important to know Uber and Lyft accident claims can be more complicated than other types of car accident cases.
Our Houston Uber and Lyft accident attorneys understand the complexities of these cases, and we know how to help victims recover. If you or your family got hurt in an Uber accident or a Lyft wreck, don’t wait to contact us. You deserve to be informed about your rights and options.
FREE Consultations Available 24/7
If you’re unable to visit our offices for a consultation, we can come to your home, the hospital, or any location most convenient for you
Call Us Now
Some error has occured.
Did an Uber or Lyft Driver Cause My Car Accident?
To determine if your Uber driver or Lyft driver is at fault, you’ll need to collect some evidence. The following things can help determine liability and build your case:
- The police accident report
- Accident scene photos
- Crash debris
- Witness statements
- Cellphone records
- Surveillance footage
Our Houston Uber and Lyft car accident attorneys can thoroughly gather and analyze all available evidence from your crash. We can also help you figure out if Uber’s or Lyft’s insurance covers your car accident, and if so, help you get the compensation you deserve.
Does Uber Insurance Cover My Accident?
Uber’s degree of insurance coverage will depend on the Uber driver’s “status” at the time of the crash. Here’s a closer look:
- Off-duty Uber drivers: Uber insurance does not provide coverage. The only coverage for crashes that happen when Uber drivers are off-duty is the driver’s own personal auto insurance.
- On-duty Uber drivers waiting for a ride: Uber has contingent coverage for accidents that happen when drivers are “on duty” (signed into the app) and awaiting their next ride request. This coverage activates if a driver’s personal insurance does not cover the accident. It offers:
- $50,000 of coverage for bodily injuries (per person)
- $100,000 of coverage for bodily injuries (per accident)
- $25,000 of coverage for property damage (per accident)
- On-duty Uber drivers (picking up, dropping off, or transporting a rider): Uber’s $1,000,000 of third-party liability coverage would apply for any accidents that occur when drivers are on their way to pick up or drop off riders. This includes coverage for hit-and-run accidents, as well as accidents caused by uninsured or under-insured motorists.
Here are more details about Uber insurance, along with certificates of insurance by state.
Does Lyft Insurance Cover My Accident?
Lyft’s insurance coverage works the same way as Uber’s insurance coverage, providing:
- No coverage when drivers are off-duty (not logged into the app)
- Contingent coverage, with the same limits as Uber’s policy above, when drivers are on duty (logged into the app) and waiting for a ride request
- $1,000,000 in third-party liability coverage when drivers are on duty and are en route to pick up a rider or are transporting a rider
Here are more details about Lyft’s insurance, along with certificates of insurance by state.
When it comes to insurance coverage for Uber and Lyft accidents, it’s crucial to remember that:
- Just because an insurance company says it provides coverage in certain situations does NOT mean insurers will automatically honor the coverage when your claim is filed.
- Insurance companies are NOT on your side after an accident. They want to avoid paying you and will try every trick in the book to decrease your settlement.
- Our experienced Uber and Lyft car accident lawyers in Houston can help you navigate the complexities of these cases and stand up to insurance companies. You don’t have to do this alone.
I’m an Uber or Lyft Driver Hurt in a Crash. Can I File a Car Accident Lawsuit?
As a rideshare driver, you have the legal options to file a car accident lawsuit IF another party was primarily at fault for the crash. In other words, according to Texas law, you can file a case if you are no more than 49% at fault for the accident.
Depending on how the accident happened and your driver status at the time of the crash, the following may be true:
- Multiple parties may be at fault for the accident: This could include other motorists on the road, plus commercial truck drivers and the companies they work for. It may even include road safety crews.
- There may be multiple insurance companies to deal with: Each of these insurers may use tricky tactics to try to deny your claim or reduce its value.
The best way to find out more about your rights and your options after an Uber or Lyft accident is to contact a Houston car accident attorney at our 5-star law firm for a totally free case evaluation.
Compensation for Uber & Lyft Car Accident Victims
When Uber and Lyft accident cases are successful, victims can secure compensation for the injuries, pain, suffering, and other losses caused by the crash. Compensation for a ridesharing accident can include (but is not limited to):
- Medical bills: Past, present, and even future medical bills may be covered if you’ve been injured and require ongoing care. Prescriptions and therapy are included.
- Lost earnings: When you’re hurt, you’re out of work. Regain your past and future lost wages, bonuses, commissions, benefits, and more.
- Property damage: If your vehicle and personal belongings were lost or damaged in the crash, you are entitled to compensation.
- Pain and suffering: Last but not least, your mental wellbeing matters. Don’t let insurance companies dismiss the anguish and trauma associated with a serious car accident.
While these damages can’t turn back time, they can help you focus on healing and moving forward. If you were injured in an accident involving a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft, a free consultation can be the key to understanding your rights and taking the right steps going forward.
Does My Accident Justify Hiring a Houston Car Accident Lawyer?
There’s only one way to find out for sure: contact our Houston car accident lawyers for a 100% free, zero-obligation case evaluation.
One car accident can change your life – but so can one victory with us.
FOR A FREE CONSULTATION