With the number of readily available ridesharing services, it’s surprising and unforgivable that anyone would choose to get behind the wheel of a car after they consume a few drinks. Unfortunately, every year drunk driving crashes still kill 10,497 and injure 290,000.
If a drunk driver recklessly injured you or a loved one, the experienced team of car accident lawyers and legal professionals at Stewart J. Guss, Attorney at Law, can help! For more than 20 years, we have helped victims recover from injuries caused by drunk drivers. We take a client-first approach, making our primary goal to get our clients through legal process as easily as possible—and to win you the maximum compensation that the law will allow. Call us 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 800-898-4877, or contact us now by CLICKING HERE to schedule a free consultation. Don’t delay! Your rights are too important.
Signs of an Intoxicated Driver
Any time you’re driving, there is a chance that you’re sharing the road with a drunk driver. Although you might imagine that the chances of being involved in an accident are only present at night, the reality is that it can happen at any time. Although you can’t remove a drunk driver from the road, you can learn to recognize and avoid them. Some signs to watch for include:
- Cars that are swerving in and out of their lane
- Someone who is driving with their face close to the windshield
- Vehicles that are traveling much faster or slower than the speed limit
- A car that is traveling at night without their headlights on
- A car that is tailgating the vehicle in front of it
- Cars that seem to take a larger turning radius than is necessary
- A car that is running into traffic cones, the guardrail, or the median of the road
If you are driving near a car that is showing signs of a drunk driver, it’s important to make sure that you are able to safely get out of their way. If you feel like you are not able to pass the vehicle without putting yourself in danger, pull off to the side of the road or exit as soon as possible. Then, call the police or the local highway patrol to report the dangerous driver. By doing this, you might be able to prevent a serious accident from happening.
What to Do When You Suffer Injuries by a Drunk Driver
The minutes after a drunk driver hits you can feel disorienting. People often say that time seems to slow down and that it’s difficult to determine what they should do after the crash. Some actions to take include:
- Call the police – Many people don’t realize that one of the first things they should do after an accident is to call the police. The police are trained to respond to this exact situation. They will arrive on the scene and help call an ambulance for anyone who is in need of one. If they suspect that anyone involved in the accident has been drinking, they will probably administer a series of sobriety tests. The police will also survey the scene and write up an official accident report. This report can be a great asset to your claim.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you don’t think that you’ve suffered serious injuries, it is important to see a doctor as soon as you can after an accident. Don’t wait until that headache gets worse – seek medical attention immediately. Many serious injuries, such as whiplash and traumatic brain injuries often don’t present symptoms right away. If you delay your medical examination, the insurance companies will often try to argue that your injuries must not have been serious, or that the injuries you are reporting might not even be related to the accident. Don’t risk it! See a medical professional as soon as you can.
- Contact a law firm you trust – Going through a car accident caused by a drunk driver can be a truly devastating experience. Working with a law firm that both understands the legal process of dealing with the aftermath of a drunk driving accident and who puts their clients first is to your benefit. Between communicating directly with the insurance companies, filing paperwork on time, and working to obtain expert witnesses, there are many complicated pieces involved in a drunk driving accident case. You want to work with a person you can confide in. Stewart J. Guss and his legal team are here to help you every step of the way. We will strive to make sure you are well taken care of—our clients are our top priority!
Speak With a Drunk Driving Accident Law Firm
If you were injured and believe that the at-fault driver was under the influence of alcohol, focus on following your doctor’s treatment plan and recovering to the best of your ability. Let an experienced law firm outline all of your options for legal recourse.
For more than 20 years, Stewart J. Guss and his team of skilled attorneys and legal professionals have worked with many people whom drunk drivers have injured. We understand how difficult this time period can be for those who are dealing with an injury and want to make the process as easy and painless as possible. We take all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, so you will not owe us a DIME unless we win your case. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Your rights matter, so call us today at 800-898-4877 or contact us now by CLICKING HERE to schedule your free consultation!