Due to the large size and fast highway speeds of box trucks, tractor trailers, and big rigs on Texas roadways, motor vehicle accidents caused by these vehicles tend to be catastrophic. Catastrophic injuries sustained in truck and big rig accidents typically include fractures, broken bones, and traumatic brain injuries – otherwise known as TBIs.
If you or someone you love has sustained a traumatic brain injury in a truck collision case that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to monetary recovery under Texas law.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Some of the most common types of issues related traumatic brain injuries sustained in truck collision cases include the following:
- Short-term memory losses
- Long-term memory losses
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Cognitive impairments
- Loss of long-term ability to function
- Internal bleeding
Because traumatic brain injuries occur internally when an accident victim’s brain makes contact with the skull, these injuries are oftentimes difficult to diagnose and treat.
Stages of Recovery Following a Serious Traumatic Brain Injury
The 3 stages of recovery following a serious TBI include the following:
- Coma – During this phase, the person is unconscious and does not usually respond to external stimuli. The accident victim cannot communicate with anyone during this period.
- Vegetative State – During this phase, the person alternates between asleep and awake but may briefly respond to external stimuli.
- Minimal Consciousness – During this phase, the person may be able to respond to commands or reach for objects.
Due to the nature and varying extent of traumatic brain injuries, total recovery times are often difficult to predict.
Contact a Houston Truck Accident Attorney Today to Discuss Your Case
If you or someone you love sustained a traumatic brain injury in a truck collision case, you need experienced legal representation in order to maximize your monetary recovery. A Houston motor vehicle accident attorney will be able to assist you with obtaining monetary compensation via settlement or trial.